More people are using this tarpaulin fish ponds for sale in Nigeria, and there are different sizes. Here is how to identify the best tarpaulin fish ponds for sale in Nigeria.
1. The Frames of the tarpaulin fish pond.
Firstly you probably want it to be collapsible because your frames are actually the most important part of the pond. They must be solid, and their joints must be movable. I prefer bolt and nuts to welded permanent structures.
Secondly People may think Iron frames are the best tarpaulin fish ponds for sale in Nigeria, over Wood frames or Pvc Pipe frames however I think they are all useful for different purposes.
You can use them for different aspects of fish farming, building a hatchery, smoking size fishes, grow out fishes or broodstock ponds. All of the above frames materials can be built with collapsible frameworks.
To identify the best collapsible fish pond in Nigeria, the frames must not be rickety. It must be strong and reinforced on all sides.
Lastly, dont assume that iron is the strongest for your pond legs because depending on the type of farm it is and how long you want to keep your fishes in the ponds for, wood sometimes may serve better purposes than iron.
2. Tarpaulin Material of the fish pond
Next, look at the material. Some people use tarpaulin and other grades of tarpaulin for fish farming.
In reality, the best types for the tarpaulin fish ponds are the grade-A materials. But it is actually HDPE, high density polyethylene, reinforced with fibers inside and can last for up to 10 years if well handled.
2 things to look out for in the liners.
- First, the length. Pay attention to this as it can be tricky. A 4ft pond should not have a 4ft liner. It should be at least a 4ft 2 inches in length. This is to allow the material to seat properly on the floor. The material must be big enough just to have a little extra. That way the weight of the water would be on the floor and not on the material or on the frames. Look at this picture below of a perfectly sealed liner by Asher Ponds.
- Second, the sealing. Some people use gum to seal tarpaulins. However with the newly imported tarpaulin sealing machine, we are able to seal the tarpaulin into different sizes we want. People now seal the tarpaulin for large sizes even for earthen ponds as earthen fish pond liners, to lay inside leaking concrete ponds, to retain water in leaking soils e.t.c
3. Check the drainage of the tarpaulin fish pond
The drainage of a collapsible pond can be fragile and tricky so it can cause leaking on the farm and so I always advise that it is done by a plumber. 2 major types of drainage systems exist. One is the exit valves while the other is the chambered flushing system.
While the chambered system would require a more permanent structure which defeats our purpose, the exit valve is the best for the collapsible pond.
It is always best to get a plumber to come and attach the drainage of your pond for you. All Asher Ponds come with their drainage so you don’t have to buy the fake ones outside.
Tarpaulin fish ponds are here to stay in Nigeria.
If you are just starting your fish farm project, you can find some helpful tips here
To see my farm and more of fish projects I am involved with, click here
Here are the various prices and available sizes of fish ponds in Nigeria, click here.
I remain your popular fish farmer,
Akinbowale ‘Akinfish” Showemimo.